I Am Legend


I enjoyed reading I Am Legend as part of one of the readings. That was a more enjoyable and easier read than the other book; A Wild Sheep Chase. It opened up the reader to how Roberts life was by his surroundings and his life situation/struggles. It showed more of how the character is as a person just by the way he acts. To me, its more immersive than leaving the reader guessing who the reader is and developing feelings later down the road based off their narration. In this one, we get to sit next to Robert and truly ride the same roller-coaster with him. His constant struggles with his loneliness and emotions as he lives alone in his house. This truly makes me sympathize with the protagonist and helps me understand him better. 

To me, he just feels more alive, more human. Because we all are fighting some sort of battle within ourselves. I enjoy how the story rides the readers emotions through ups and downs. First, its a storm and then it calms down to his everyday routine and then it picks up with something else. It keeps it interesting. After a while, it gets a little depressing to me to witness how someone would live and try to keep their sanity in a post-apocalyptic world. How he keeps attachment to the past life by living everyday as if it were normal and talking to his "friends". I mean its understandable if you believe you're the only person alive. But because of those attachments, he grows stronger emotions for them and it'll kill him if its ever disrupted. He'll rely on those small little things to keep him in track. Because by now, its all he knows. Besides the vampires, which is another unhealthy attachment he has.   

I watched the movie in the past and so I know where the story leads to and by reading half the novel, I really enjoy the way the book is written. It really emphasizes on the character and keeps me hooked on wanting to read more. This was a pleasurable read for me. I liked dissecting the main characters mind and seeing how, as who he is, would go about certain situations and certain events. 

Comments

Popular Posts