The Ocean at the end of the Lane

I wasnt very fond of this story, it started off very depressing. This child went through so many depressing moments one after the other. It felt as if this kid got hit by life so much he started to become numb to most of it. It was just bringing me down and it started to bore me after a while. I didn't feel like it flowed very well. It was just him talking about moments and events and I didnt feel like it was getting anywhere, it felt monotone. Yet again, this is just my opinion on the story. It seemed like one of those stories/movies where the setting is always overcast and the colors are kind of muted and it has that gritty, depressing realistic setting throughout. It was a little difficult for me to swallow the story and stay on-board. 

I felt the worst for the main character in the beginning when he didnt have any friends come to his birthday party, this quote really hit me 

"I do not remember ever asking any of the other children in my class at school why they had not come to my party. I did not need to ask them. They were not my friends, after all. They were just the people I went to school with.

It was so sad to have to read a little boy talk like that. We usually come to that realization later in life but for a young kid to notice that after a series of bad events, it really makes you feel for the character. I also felt for him when his kitten got ran over, but we wont go there. I guess the author did a good job of making the reader emotionally invested into the character but the rest of the story was hard for me to stay interested in. Im sorry but those are just my thoughts on the story. 

Comments

Popular Posts